Friday, February 27, 2015

My Mom

Today is a pretty special day. Today the hardest working mother I know is retiring. Last night when I was on the phone with her I asked her if she was excited and she said, "Yes, but I love my job."

I hope and pray that I can be half the mom that my mom has been. Growing up she would go to work while we were at school and always come home and make dinner (not processed) always home cooked meals for us. She would also do all the laundry and cleaning. She should have made us kids help her, but she didn't. She did it all and never complained. It has taken my into my adult life to realize how hard she worked and how much she did and still does for her family. When I get home from teachin I'm so spent that laundry waits until the weekend, floors don't get vacuumed, bed doesn't get made. She is amazing!

My mom has always worked with older people. She spent many years working in home health care and the past year or two as an activities coordinator at an assisted living place. I've had the pleasure going with her to work or just visiting her at work through the years and you can tell that these old ladies love her. They light up when talking about her. She has made a huge impact.

My mom would do absolutely anything for her family. She also knows me sometimes better than I know myself. She will mention something about me and I will deny it over and over again, but then usually a week later I will think...my mom was right. She is always right.

I could go on and on about how wonderful she is! Thank you for all you do mom an I'm excited to see you more in your retired years! Thanks for showing me how to be a mom. I pray I can be half the mom that you were to me. Happy retirement!


No comments:

Post a Comment