Thursday, April 2, 2015

Back to work?

Hey Everyone,

For the last 9 years I have worked with children. I worked at a daycare all through college and I have taught Kindergarten for the last 5 years. I love working with children! As you may or may not know, Ben and I knew when we got married that I would eventually stay home when we had kids. It was hard to make that decision and I went back and forth on whether or not that would be best. After having Ruby, God definitely confirmed that decision. As I sit here an look at my 9 week old daughter sleeping in her swing I simply can NOT imagine leaving her for 9-10 hours a day at a daycare. Please know that I do not judge those who chose this option. I know incredible moms who do.

I'm reading a book right now called Bringing Up Girls by Dr. James Dobson. I'm only a couple chapters in, but the more I read the more I learn about how horrible our culture is and how important Ben and i's role is in raising Ruby. Ben and I are both teachers. I can tell you after our first day of school which children are loved well at home, which children play a lot of video games, which children who are neglected. Ben and I have also noticed from Kindergarten to High School the amount of disrespect that children show. They do not fear consequences, they do not respect adults, and they just don't care. I feel like it has gotten worse over the last couple of years. I think a lot of it comes from parenting. When I have been hit by Kindergarners, cussed at by Kindergartners, and flat out disrespected by Kindergartners, that doesn't just happen. I had a little girl call me a fag when I wouldn't let her jump on the chairs. Where did she learn that word? She clearly did not know the meaning. What I'm trying to say is if you don't raise your children than the world will. If you don't teach yor children about Jesus who will? We can't take our children to church on Sunday's and leave it at that. We need to practice faith at home. I've been reading through Proverbs lately and have been convicted on wisdom. Wisdom comes from the Lord and if we don't seek Him we lack wisdom. If we are in His word we find wisdom. Simple as that. Ooofta...I think I'm getting on a rabbit trail here.

Ben and I were talking the other night about how nice it is to have the weekends not spent cleaning and running errands. I'm able to get the cooking done, laundry finished, cleaning done. By doing this during the day, Ruby and i's time is maximized with Ben. Same goes for the weekends. Ben and I also discussed how if I was back at work, it would probably be harmful to our marriage. Again PLEASE understand that I'm talking about Ben and I specifically and not judging anyone.

I love teaching, but I truly think that God used teaching to teach me what is important. What is important for Ben and I is for me to stay at home with our kids. It is a job that we find so important and I can tell you with 100% confidence that I have never been happier in my entire life.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the ranks of stay-at-home-motherhood! I agree that raising our children is our most important job, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I am so grateful everyday to be home with my boys!

    ReplyDelete