Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Swaddling....duh!

I remember the first week when I would have to wake Ruby to eat every 2-3 hours per Doctors request. It was exhausting, but when you become a mom life is no longer about you. You would do absolutely anything to make sure your baby gets what she needs. After Ruby gained past her birth weight we were able to let her sleep as long as she wanted an feed her when she woke up. Well, our little girl would grunt through the night moving her head back and forth. I thought she was nuts. I would go over to her to feed her, but she was "sleep grunting." It was so strange. That's when we introduced the pacifier. The pacifier works off and on. Sometimes when she is fighting her sleep you just PPP that sucker in and she is out like a light. It comes in pretty handy.

Well, we always thought Ruby liked having her hands out of her swaddling sleep sack, until I realized she would startle and wake herself up by hitting her face with her hands. At around 7 weeks she was still waking up every two or so hours grunting. I posted something on Facebook about trying to figure out Rubys sleeping and sweet Meredith sent me a message about a book called Babywise. Now, I didn't read it, but I did Google Babywise tips. One of the first things I read was to swaddle your babies arms in. Duh! That is just common sense. So, Ben an I went back to swaddling her arms in and sure enough, Ruby slept through the night. At one point Ben woke up and had to make sure she was breathing. Since last Thursday, (knock on wood) Ruby has been sleeping mostly through the night. We will put her down around 8 and then she wakes up around 4 to eat and then again around 8. Seriously. It's fantastic!! I hope I don't eat my words by typing up this blog.

So, all you soon to be mommas or mommas with babies who aren't sleepig too well.....try swaddling them! If that doesn't work, go to Barnes and Noble and buy Babywise!

No comments:

Post a Comment