Friday, May 13, 2016

Ruby's Adjustment to Big Sisterhood!

Hey Everyone,

Today is my first day completely solo with my girls. I'm blogging. Good sign, right? I just put Ruby down for a nap-no problems. Stella just got done eating and is resting peacefully in her rock-n-play. This blog post is all about how Ruby is adjusting.

Let me tell you the day we brought Stella home we put Ruby down for a nap because she was so tired. Like, as soon as we got home from the hospital she went straight to her crib. When she woke up she was SO sweet and SO lovely to Stella. Looking at her, resting her head on her and sucking her thumb. Then Ruby woke up a little bit more and I don't think was well rested yet. She was needy, whining about everything, demanding our attention. I had never seen Ruby quite like that. I think Ben and I were both thinking, "what have we done?" We couldn't reverse the situation we were in. I said, it will get better. It has to get better. When I had Stella, it was the first time Ruby had been without me in the morning. She woke up to my mom, whom she loves dearly, but I think she was just confused. She didn't really show it at the time with my mom, but I think it caught up to her about the time that we arrived home. I think it was Ruby's way of saying, "what the heck mom and dad!"

Friday went a little better and the weekend went ok as well. Ben's parents came on Sunday and so Ruby got a lot of attention and a lot of outside time. She LOVES being outside.

 Ok, lets back up about a month. Ben found out about 3 or 4 weeks before having Stella that he lost his job for the fall. They needed to make a cut, and unfortunately Ben and his non-tenured status was the one to get cut. We couldn't believe it and the whole situation left us shocked. Ben has had a great time at Buffalo High School and has done quite a bit for the school. We are trying really hard not to be bitter about the situation, but we both kind of want to just say, "Screw you Buffalo." Pray for us to have a forgiving heart will ya? Anyway, Ben since interviewed for a job in Soldotna, Alaska. Yep, you read that right. He also was given that job, but in the end turned it down. I believe we will one day end up back in Alaska, but the timing with two girls under 2 was just not the right time. We need the support of our family right now. Anyway, how does this pertain to Ruby? Ben and I were both stressed to the core about this decision. There were tears almost every night leading up to him having to give his answer. I think all that stress just put out a big tension in the house. I think it added to Ruby's demeanor.

Ok, fast forward to Monday. My mom was coming out for the week during the days to help out. Ruby continued to be sassy and into everything. Before my mom had gotten here, Ruby was eating spaghetti for lunch. I forgot to strap her into her high chair. I was feeding Stella over on the couch and I look over at Ruby and she is standing up in her high chair throwing spaghetti all over the place. Thankful to have our dog, Moose to clean up, but I thought for sure she was going to jump out. I put Stella down and went over to get Ruby. At this point I was pretty crabby with being sleep deprived and having a 15 month old who was testing my patience. Somehow we got through it though. As the week went on though Ruby got a little bit better and a little more like herself pre-Stealla.

I'm happy to report now that Ruby is back to her lovely self. She is goofy as all get out. She is learning how to climb on things, which we only really let happen when Ben is home. She has been back to her normal nap schedule and night schedule. I think she has learned that this baby is here to stay and things may be a little different, but it is ok. Ruby really does love her little sister. She will often just look at her and smile. If I'm holding Stella at Ruby's level, Ruby will come over and put her head down on Stella and give her kisses. It is the sweetest thing and it melts my heart. I couldn't ask for a better outcome at this point. I do know that things will probably be a roller coaster again at some point and I'm ok with that. I know that we will get through it and from it will come an even greater love for my girls.

Please pray for Ben (and I) that Ben would find a new job. He continues to apply to places around the twin cities. He is also thinking about getting his masters. We are in the process of finishing off our basement to put our house on the market. This leaves me so sad because we love our church, our small group,  the friends I have made through MOPS and MOMS club. However, I believe that God has a plan for us and I know that we will be ok. I often joke with Ben saying that we are used to transition. We got married and moved to Alaska right away. We found found our home there. We moved back to Minnesota three years later and found our home here in Maple Lake. Now, we will end up somewhere new and we will find out home there. We will be ok.
Such a sweet and goofy girl.

Melts my heart. I LOVE my girls. 

So thankful to have Grandma here this week. Ruby loves her so much and so do I! 

Ruby loves climbing and she almost made it. Daddy snapped a picture and then helped her down. ha! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about Ben's job. I will be praying he finds something that's just right for your family.

    ReplyDelete